The USA squad has a tough go of things being drawn into the “Group of Death,” but if anyone call pull out a miracle, I have faith that our boys in the red, white and blue (rocket popsicle) jerseys can do it.
The Germans will definitely be our toughest competition, but the USA coach, Jürgen Klinsmann is German and played for Germany. So, if anyone can beat them it’s him, right?
We will see. Until then, here are seven facts about the USA Men’s 2014 World Cup squad that you can throw around the bar…
7. Building a Portfolio – This will be Team USA’s tenth World Cup appearance, and they only appeared in one before the 90s. There best finish ever was that one time in 1930, where they finished third. However, they have been to every World Cup since 1990.
6. Seeking Revenge – Team USA opens the tournament against Ghana, who eliminated the USA squad in the round of 16 in the 2010 World Cup in South Africa.
5. No Excuses – Team USA will have the worst World Cup travel schedule, being forced to travel 9,000+ miles in between matches.
4. Familiar Territory – Team USA has met Germany once in the group stage in 1998, losing 2-0. New USA coach Jurgen Klinsmann scored one of the goals.
3. Tough Odds – The World Cup tournament has been held 18 times since 1930, however, only seven different nations have lifted the trophy. Not one of them from outside Europe or South America.
2. League Play – Almost half the team plays in MLS (10 of 23), which will put the USA league to the test to see if they can compete against the big guns in Europe. USA are tied with Ecuador and South Korea for the second fewest UEFA Champions League players in their squad with only 1.
1. Rolling Deep – Over 500 American fans known as The Outlaws will be chartering planes to fly down to Brazil for the World Cup. Let’s give ’em hell America!
Continue the Countdown: